Things always seem to come in clumps. So, the latest goings-on...
Yesterday afternoon we attended Riley's annual IEP. There were 9 people there. I can't get over that... 9 people talking about our kid. I have always been pleased with our school district, and last night was no exception. I am really happy with next year's principal... already. I also like the teacher he'll likely have next year. Everyone seemed to be so respectful and took the time to talk things out.
His goals focus on social stuff, as well as self regulation. We will be reevaluating speech soon (it's been three years) to see if he might qualify for services. He has never qualified for speech, so it would be great if he does now, so he can get help at school with some of the communication challenges, and pragmatic speech issues. We will have to update the IEP in May, but it's worth it. If he gets speech, I will feel so much better about the possibility of not having ABA anymore. Communication is such a big challenge for him, still.
This morning was the meeting at my husband's union. They are preparing their new insurance policy for the coming year. We were on the agenda- and I was surprised they copied our letter and put it into the binders that everyone had about the upcoming policy changes. We spoke for about 15 minutes with the trustees. There were about 10 of them. A few questions were asked, but mostly it was a silent reception. I cried a little when talking about it. Then we got a "thank you, we'll send a letter." We won't know for a few weeks.
Right now it's just wait and see.
A young mother of three sons (including one on the autism spectrum) journaling experiences with biomedical treatment, gut healing, and diet restrictions. Therapies, family stress and joyful accomplishments. This blog is meant to educate and inspire, as well as connect with other families seeking recovery.

No comments:
Post a Comment