Thursday, July 14, 2011

It's been a few months, just thought I'd update quick.

We have recently stopped doing the social group Riley was going to weekly. It was a crap drive at rush hour, and though the hour away was nice for me (I could leave him and go to a coffee shop, no complaints) it was a lot of stress. He went for I think 6 weeks, and I didn't see a ton come out of it. I don't know that the peers in the group were a great match for him. He's often put with children that are younger and/or lower functioning and the truth is he just needs to be with typical peers. That said, we are utilizing the free hours we received due to my complaint with our former therapy provider against our last senior therapist. He's doing 3 1/2 hours a week in their clinic. We arranged it to be with one of the line therapists we used to have in home, so it was pretty seamless. He gets excited to go and I think it's a good break for him.

We are also still having the line therapist we hired out of pocket come two mornings a week, three hours a piece. That's going okay. She has been taking him out to a friend's farm to play with another child around his age. I think if anything it gives him a break, and she really helps with conversations.

Not doing anything with biomedical right now, just restricted diet. I've been thinking about trying Enhansa again, because he has some skin rashes going on as well as some stimming behaviors we hadn't seen in a while. Overall though, I don't see a lot of reason to add anything in.

The one thing that I'd like to get him tested for are the cerebral folate antibodies. I have quite a few friends (including our DAN! Dr's family) who have done the testing and treatment, with amazing results. B vitamins in general seem to be something that Riley needs, so this is a treatment I've researched a lot. We have the letter all ready from our family doc and just need to do it. It's $100 plus the blood draw and shipping, so I just haven't made it a priority. We have been struggling a lot since we're paying out of pocket for so much.

Some things that have been great lately... Riley has been very independent, wanting to do things on his own. He is now nearly independent with showering (just needs help with the knobs, but washes his own hair and everything) He is also helping out with small chores. His conversations have been very good lately, and he is using expressions (tonight said "Holy crap!" in context) Just overall doing pretty well in all areas. No major things lately, but steady improvement, and such a pleasant child. He and his now 20 month old brother are playing a lot lately, which has been fun to watch. His siblings really are a gift, and vice versa.

Speaking of, that 20 month old, very typical toddler wants to nurse.

No comments:

Followers