Friday, September 12, 2008

A busy week's worth of ramble

This was just a crazy week for me between work and Riley's stuff.

I spoke with Lee Silsby Pharmacy in Ohio today. The MB12 injections will be here on Thursday! I'm nervous and excited for this. I also ordered some DMG with them, and will probably pick up the Taurine sometime this week. I was at the co-op tonight and forgot to look to see if they had it. Damn. For now, I'm starting Riley on some probiotics, and we'll go from there.

We'll be eliminating soy and corn, soy first. But I have to admit... it really sucks. I've been keeping track of everything he eats for over a month, and it's just too much. He had some sort of reaction on Thursday... he would NOT stop stimming all day. And then today, had constipated pebble/bumpy poop. I don't know what caused it. I knew what he'd eaten, even though I was at a birth and I didn't write down what my sitter and husband had told me. It was just frustrating. I'm taking a little break from the food log. I'm just... needing a break from it. I'm still committed to GFCF, but I can't take the time to come type things in every time he eats right now.

So, soy we'll do soon, but gradually. Corn will be after that. I don't want to do either at the same time as the MB12, because I want to see if it's really the injections helping him or not.

Tonight at the co-op I bought 100% pear juice. I've read pear is not a yeast-feeder. Riley is really into juice (and drinks in general) and I want an option for him. Lately he's been really into almond milk and hemp milk. Almond milk has soy in it, so I'm trying to revert completely to hemp milk. Only problem is that the brand we like is not at our usual grocery store, it's at the co-op, which we go to about twice a month. So I guess I need to stock up on lots of it each time!!

We tried the Hemp Bliss brand at one time and really didn't like it. We really like the Living Harvest Brand. It's great in smoothies, and just to drink.

We also bought coconut milk "ice cream" for his birthday (on Sunday) Both kids had some tonight and liked it. It does have soy lethicin(sp) in it, so we probably won't do it again. But for this special occasion, we can make an exception.

As far as therapy goes. Riley had his early childhood special educator/teacher... um, Danna is her name. Can we just call her Danna? LOL She came on Wednesday. That session wasn't that great. She came today, with the speech and language therapist. Today's session was great. Wednesdays, Danna will come alone. Friday, it will be Danna and speech. I'm happy to hear this because Riley technically did not qualify for speech services, because his speech is within the normal range. It's the way he uses his speech that needs the help with. That's why it's helpful to have her come when Danna is here as well. Speech is a strong point for Riley, and can help him in other areas. He's able to communicate his needs and frustrations pretty easily.

We still haven't heard about OT. We should soon.

The therapy schedule is not as overwhelming to me now that it's happening. It seemed like a lot at first. Now it seems manageable.

Things have been pretty tough around here for us. Very up and down. Just a lot going on. Thankfully, I feel like I'm moving through it and processing it all pretty well. Everytime I feel like I'm about to lose my shit, I take a break, a breath, and realize I have help and resources if I need them.

It's all worth it, too. Today, when I picked Riley up from the respite center, he said

"Hi mama!"

He's never said that before, and I swear I could get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. He is so, so different, in so many ways!

2 comments:

DMV47 said...

NBear likes her Hempmilk ;) And yes, it appears pear juice is the "winner" when it comes to trying to avoid yeast:) Do you have a Whole Foods nearby?

M. said...

We do, but we are members of a natural food cooperative that's closer. We rarely go to Whole Foods for that reason. We do our weekly shopping at the cheapest grocery store in town. They have a really big organic section, and sometimes the prices are a little better than the cooperative.

Followers