Saturday, September 6, 2008

SENTENCE that made me smile... and a few other things

"Want some raisins, Grandma?"

-Riley, while my mom was working to have a "please" and "thank you" practice session with him today. This is a hard one to explain, just that this sentence was "different" in many ways. He was asking someone else about their needs.

And on that note, I've been frustrated lately with demand, demand, demand from him and really want him to learn to use please and thank you. We've been working on it a lot. His 15 month old brother is saying "please" all the time now. Maybe that will help.

We started with our new early childhood educator on Thursday. Wasn't really a therapy session, I think she was just trying to meet him and feel him out a little. I hope anyway. She comes Wednesdays and Fridays from here on out. Still haven't heard from OT or speech, but I'll bet we do sometime this week.

Every day, Riley says something that makes me gasp out loud (or gasp in my head) If anything, this diet has helped his ability to communicate. I also see him trying to get thoughts out and mixing up words often. He's really, really trying. He's also been into books lately, and big into coloring (he'd color all day if you let him) He is very particular about his drawings and the pages he colors. We're still having a lot of trouble with stimming and sensory stuff getting in the way of daily life. That seems to be our biggest issue. He isn't quite connected to "reality" most of the time. There are improvements to be made, that's for sure. Right now I'm trying to focus on what he's accomplishing.

No comments:

Followers