I went today and got $150 worth of GFCF start up food. I didn't buy much prepackaged "pay for the gluten free label" stuff. I got a lot of stuff that just so happens to be GFCF, but also ingredients like tapioca flour, rice flour, ghee, etc... all of these things I hadn't heard of until now. We are used to eating a lot of organics, which leads our monthly grocery bill to be nearly the same as our rent payment. I would imagine that it's not going to be nearly this much to upkeep, and that thought is reassuring for a family that lives paycheck to paycheck for the most part- at least it won't be more than we already pay to eat well. I'm thankful my mom came along and helped with today's expense, but I think it's going to be do-able.
I'm planning to share this blog with others, so here's recipe #1 that works. Adapted from the "Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook"
Smoothies!
1 1/4 c Rice Milk
1-2 tbsp coconut milk
1 c strawberries
1 banana, medium
1 c ice
Blend. Voila.
I tried this once before without the banana or the coconut milk, and it was a bust. Actually, my one year old liked it, but he's weird and likes bitter stuff. LOL Both kids liked this a lot. DH and I tried it too! It was good! Riley has a hard time drinking anything these days (except juice boxes or anything out of a bottle) I served this with a cup and straw and it worked great. I'm concerned about no milk=lack of calcium, but if I can get him to drink this every day, we'll be okay. Rice milk has a decent amount of calcium added to it.
More later. Just a quick one tonight.
A young mother of three sons (including one on the autism spectrum) journaling experiences with biomedical treatment, gut healing, and diet restrictions. Therapies, family stress and joyful accomplishments. This blog is meant to educate and inspire, as well as connect with other families seeking recovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Some Blogs and Websites..
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(51)
-
▼
August
(21)
- Licking the spoon
- Respite
- And another...
- Phrase that made me smile
- A new song
- New phrases that made me smile
- "Jack"Coloring inside the lines. Amazing!
- Amazing
- New phrases that make me smile
- Recipe that works #5
- Recipe that works #4
- Stimming
- Progress
- Isolation and Alienation
- First day completely GFCF
- My new hobby: the GFCF diet
- Recipes that work #2 and #3
- Note to self #1
- Recipe that works #1
- An Artist
- Jumping in
-
▼
August
(21)

No comments:
Post a Comment