We are on day 5 of completely GFCF, and a little over a week since we started phasing things out. I had heard it took three days for casein to rid itself, and that proved true. Holy crap. Yesterday, the 'stimming' started going beserk. And it hasn't stopped. What an intense day today was. I was at a birth yesterday afternoon/evening, so I heard about it from my mom and DH.
Stimming is well explained in this article.
When Riley stims, he: flaps his hands, jumps up and down, runs back and forth, gallops, turns lights on and off, opens and closes doors (fridge,oven, etc) hums, makes "beatboxing" noises, puts food/drinks in his mouth and spits them out. He also loves to be naked, wrap himself up in a blanket, and suck on a bottle. If given the choice, I think he would do that all day long. I do allow him to do it each day as part of his "downtime." I figure it's not hurting anyone, or himself, to let him indulge in something that makes him feel "right."
The spitting of food/drink was what he did tonight at dinner. I made a nice GFCF dinner, and it just didn't work. It was almost impossible to get him to chew up and swallow even a bite of food. I don't know what to do when he gets like that. I can't punish him, obviously, because he doesn't do it purposefully. And I can't allow him to do it because he DOES need to eat.
I have read that other parents have also experienced extreme stimming when they took out both gluten AND casein at the same time, rather than easing into it. But for us, I knew it wouldn't work to do one at a time. I figure we'll get through this adjustment, however difficult, if it means getting to where we need to be. This could very well be his body detoxing itself from the proteins. (well, opiates)
DH and I have had a lot of heart-to-hearts lately. We have both been feeling a little sad. Of course, it doesn't dominate our lives-- we have had lots of good moments. But, I think we are processing this and going through the normal "why us?" type questions.
As I said, my mom watched the boys while I was working yesterday. She ended up picking up one of the books we had out in the living room and reading it. She then ordered it from Amazon. If I didn't have my mom, I don't know what I would do. She understands... she gets it! She doesn't think I'm this crazy, new-aged weirdo buying into quack science. It's really helpful to have that respect from her. She is proud of me, she says, for seeking out answers to what is going on with my child, rather than accepting the common idea that there's nothing to be done.
Just 30 days until we see the DAN! physician.
A young mother of three sons (including one on the autism spectrum) journaling experiences with biomedical treatment, gut healing, and diet restrictions. Therapies, family stress and joyful accomplishments. This blog is meant to educate and inspire, as well as connect with other families seeking recovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Some Blogs and Websites..
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(51)
-
▼
August
(21)
- Licking the spoon
- Respite
- And another...
- Phrase that made me smile
- A new song
- New phrases that made me smile
- "Jack"Coloring inside the lines. Amazing!
- Amazing
- New phrases that make me smile
- Recipe that works #5
- Recipe that works #4
- Stimming
- Progress
- Isolation and Alienation
- First day completely GFCF
- My new hobby: the GFCF diet
- Recipes that work #2 and #3
- Note to self #1
- Recipe that works #1
- An Artist
- Jumping in
-
▼
August
(21)

2 comments:
Yay mom! It's wonderful to have her support.
Ruby did the same thing when we started the diet. She stimmed nonstop for 2 weeks. I think their world suddenly becomes a bit bigger and the revert to what is comfortable for them...at least this is what I think.
My mom is the same. She gets it and doesn't think I'm loony! It's nice to have someone on your side.
Post a Comment